Along with the new iPad, Apple today released an update to its iOS operating system – iOS 5.1. While this doesn’t seem to be a major release, this new update is expected to bring along Japanese support for Siri, and a redesigned camera app for the iPad.
This update will also bring a more visible camera shortcut for iPhone 3GS, 4 and 4S and iPod Touch 4th generation, allow users to delete photos from the photo stream and bring along Genius Mixes and Genius Playlists for iTunes Match subscribers.
The complete changelog is as follows:
- Japanese language support for Siri (availability may be limited during initial rollout)
- Photos can now be deleted from Photo Stream
- Camera shortcut now always visible on Lock Screen for iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th generation)
- Camera face detection now highlights all detected faces
- Redesigned Camera app for iPad
- Genius Mixes and Genius playlists for iTunes Match subscribers
- Audio for TV programs and films on iPad optimized to sound louder and clearer
- Podcast controls for playback speed and a 30-second rewind for iPad
- Addresses bugs affecting battery life
- Fixes and issue that occasionally caused audio to drop for outgoing calls
This update is currently available for all compatible iOS devices over-the-air and users can download this update through their device’s Software Update menu option.